Choosing to have your pets spayed and neutered is one of the best things you can do for them. It helps promote a longer, healthier life and makes them much happier pets. Your pets will be undergoing a major surgery however and require a bit of TLC afterwards.
1. Your Pet may exhibit signs that he or she is still under the influence of the anesthesia. This is a normal condition and is affected by the size and age of the animal . This condition will diminish over time.
2.When your pet first returns home after surgery, it is best if you take them outside to go to the bathroom. It has been a long day for them.
3. After surgery , give your pet a calm and quiet environment, away from noise, activity, other pets, and small children.
4.Animals are unable to control their body temperature for up to 24 hours following surgery. Keep your pet indoors overnight the day of the surgery.
5. Upon returning home, your pet may have a small amount of food and water if they wish. Some animals do not wish to eat directly after surgery, or may be nauseous and vomit. Pets should return to their normal eating habits 24 hours after surgery. If your pets eating habits have not returned to normal, please contact the Bowling Green Warren Co Humane Society.
6. Your pet has dissolvable sutures in his or her incision. These sutures will not require removal. However, as the body begins to absorb the suture material, there may appear to be a firm painless swelling beneath the skin around the incision. This is normal! It will gradually go away in one to two weeks. Check for any redness or swelling around, or discharge from the incision site . If this occurs, please contact BGWCHS.
7. If your pet begins to lick at the incision site , place an Elizabethan collar ( E- Collar) on for a few days. This can be purchased directly from BGWCHS or other local pet supply store.
8. Do not allow your pet to swim, and do not bathe your pet , for at lest 7 days following surgery. If the incision site becomes dirty, wipe with a damp towel, then dry gently.
ALL FEMALES RECEIVE A SMALL GREEN TATTOO ON THEIR UNDERSIDE TO SHOW THEY ARE SPAYED
Adoption Center 270-783-9404
Humane Society 270-842-8572
Community Cat Hotline 270-715-0937
Davis/Mosby Center Education Opportunities - www.bgwchs.com Venue Rental - 270-282-0268
Hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 10AM-4:30PM, Saturday 10AM-4PM, Sunday 12-4PM Closed Wednesday *Veterinary services are not available every day. Please call ahead to confirm that a Vet is available.* Our Vet normally does examinations on animals between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays Other services may be available between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
1924 Louisville Road, Bowling Green, KY 42101 Fax Number 270-783-9474 After Hours EMERGENCY 270-202-9136